Website Updates

PSC Stuff

Re: Website Updates

Postby John Brohm » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:42 pm

RocketMikeH wrote:Well I guess there is major room for improvement for PSC473.org we didn't even get into the top ten. Look for a total re-do soon. I would like input on what you currently like and what you do not like.

This site was #2

http://www.cmass.org/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=71

Well one difference I see when comparing the two sites is that CMASS has a "cleaner" look, more like a business website. I haven't gone far enough to see if there is any dramatic info differences, but on first blush the thing that jumps out at me is that visually cleaner look. Maybe it has something to do with the white background; maybe ours (while I think it's very good) has some kind of subconscious Darth Vader menacing look to it. Don't know for sure.
John Brohm

Postby rsalex » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:55 pm

What if we added some "how to" content in video format. Various club members could contribute short clips on common subjects to get it started. For example, a no more than 2 minute video could demonstrate the construction and folding techniques of a "scorpion-fold" streamer for streamer duration.

How about one of our A Divisioners showing us how to properly prep a simple sport rocket or fill out a sport flight card.

Use the keep it short and keep it simple approach for most topics.

We could also use the TP Newsletter to feed the web-site by augmenting newsletters with online content like a video demonstration of a technique or printable PDF plans for model, jig, or tool.
Scott Alexander
NAR# 84112
rsalex

Postby John Brohm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Scott;

These are great ideas, and in amongst my various projects and travels I'll be keen to help out. Maybe we need to have a chat with Mike and see if we can distill some of these ideas into actionable plans.

Something that I would be happy to contribute is an on-line version of PSC Shop Talk - maybe we could do a couple of technique videos (although these might be longer than two minutes), and while I'm pretty sure I won't have my IRIS ready for the Picnic, I can say that I've been trying some new things with this build that are sure to be a help to those interested in scale projects.

And then I think if we could move our newsletter on line from a scan to an electronic conversion of the original Publisher file, that also would make a big difference. It would mean that all the pages would be in color on line, and I have to think that will make a difference in the web judging.

Anyway, lots to talk about - see you soon;
John Brohm

Postby RocketMikeH » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:46 pm

These are great ideas. What I need help with is the over all theme and look, once that is done I can move forward. The question is what is good now?

Do you like/dislike -
The buttons across the top?
The scrolling news bar?
The newsletter page?
The members page?
The library?

I need opinions on that type of stuff first so I can re-format what is good and re-do what can be better. I personally like the buttons along the left side like Steve had mentioned, but that's all up for discussion.
Mike Hardobey
NAR #43720
PSC-Webmaster
RocketMikeH

Postby John Brohm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I like the buttons along the left, and I'd like to see the page centered. Right now it's left justified.
John Brohm

Postby rsalex » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Mike,

I like buttons on the left, too. But, I think that one thing that may be hurting the site is how it breaks out on the newer screens. My laptop and our newer desktop monitors at work are all HD wide screens and there is nothing but dead space on the sides and you have to scroll up and down to read the content.

Many applications are now being reformatted to put controls on the sides and spread content left and right more than up and down to match the screens. I personally think the wide screen format is great for video and very poor for everything else, especially business apps with the notable exception of spreadsheets.

Alas, we must find a way to look good on the awkward wide layout.

Fortunately, I think the content of the site is outstanding. We need to continue to build it out and sell it a bit more, but we have a good base and a nice theme. I don't think a complete re-write is in order and I would not change the theme and styling except to make it more comfortable on wider screens.

Just my 2 cents worth, more or less. :D
Scott
Scott Alexander
NAR# 84112
rsalex

Previous

Return to General PSC Info