New Website Design

PSC Stuff

New Website Design

Postby RocketMikeH » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:29 pm

If you click on the "Section 473" on our current webpage you can see the first attempt at a new homepage. Need feedback please.
Mike Hardobey
NAR #43720
PSC-Webmaster
RocketMikeH

Re: New Website Design

Postby John Brohm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:26 pm

RocketMikeH wrote:If you click on the "Section 473" on our current webpage you can see the first attempt at a new homepage. Need feedback please.

Several folks at the picnic yesterday spoke in favor of the present dark space background. I think that can be made to work, but it will take some thought in my opinion.

I think our Webmaster has to decide what the goal is. I'm imagining that our objective is to arrive at a website that's informative, useful, but also in the running to win the NAR website award. It's that last one that's the kicker; it means he's got to place himself in the heads of the judges.

My guess is that the majority of the judges either are, or are about to approach, middle age. So what does a middle aged, probably a person in an established career (and therefore is dealing with websites as part of his or her business activities all the time) judge consider comfortable, presentable, and with key information easy to find?

Know your prey, I say.
John Brohm

Postby RocketMikeH » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:42 am

Hmmm, what's the goal. That's a good question. When I did the website over again I think we were just looking for something better than what we had. I think what we have is better but when I step back I see major holes in the look. I think the conent is there and we can add more, just needs to be presented better. My goal is to present the content we have in a more pleasant, somehat business view, but....still be a little different than just a cookie cutter rocket website.

Personally I like -

Newsletter page - I like seeing the front page graphic to click on, it's different than what others do but still looks somewhat professional.

The scrolling headline that announces awards of members and the club, again becuase it's different, but still somewhat professional.

I like the awards page becuase no one else does it.

I like the schedule page and the library pages becuase they give good info.

I do not like -

The membership page, the rockets 101 page, the join page, or the photo page. All that can be done better. I would also like an index of our newsletter, that would be not only useful but set us above everyone. The newsletter is the best in the NAR, I think we leverage that asset to improve another (the website).

John - What are your thoughts on the front page re-do? Everything is centered and I think it's got cleaner lines, but I want your thoughts?

I guess I still can't define the goal :?
Mike Hardobey
NAR #43720
PSC-Webmaster
RocketMikeH

Postby John Brohm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:10 pm

Hi Mike;

I took a look at the new site, and it seems to be coming along nicely. I like what you've done with the banner. What would it look like if you included the space background in just the black portions of the banner?
John Brohm

Postby RocketMikeH » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Take a look when you have a second. It looks odd to say the least... Do you like the styling? More professional?
Mike Hardobey
NAR #43720
PSC-Webmaster
RocketMikeH

Postby John Brohm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Well apart from the header, yes I think it's heading in the right direction. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the bolded text in the welcome message, so we could maybe try and see what it looks like unbolded.

As for the header, I think we should get some more opinions. Personally, I think I like just the plain black background in the box.
John Brohm

Return to General PSC Info